MS ELLE’s - 2 Minute American Football in Central America ‘Beat Report’
1. Great news for women’s American football! Since the historic first women’s exhibition game at Tropic Bowl V in 2015 between the Angels of Perez Zeledon and the Goddesses of San Jose, Costa Rica has finally established the ADMFA - Associacion Deportivo Mujero Football Americano, with four member teams. The 2 San Jose teams, Goddesses led by Coach Monney and Flames led by Coach Avila. The Perez Zeledon team, Vilkarias, formerly known as Angels, led by Coach Pana. The 3 aforementioned teams will compete in the women’s championship calendar kicking off in San Jose on Sunday, October 7th at 9 AM. Game field to be announced. The Falcans from Codea-Alajuela will not participate in the 2018 calendar although are still a member team of the league.
2. Interest for Flag Football in Costa Rica has finally peaked this year after a decade of tackle football dominance. On Saturday, September 22 starting at 8:00 AM at the CCDR in Moravia the ‘Independence Bowl’ will take place hosted by the Asociacion Deportiva Rinocerontes. 5 Flag teams (men’s/women’s/mixed) will participate; Wolf Pack, Dawgs, Pumas, Eagles and Flames.
EL SALVADOR / GUATEMALA
1. The SAAIF - Salvadorian Association of American Intramural Football took a break from their 2018 national championship calendar to host an international series tournament this past Saturday, September 15th against Guatemala. The visiting Guatemalan Dragones won against the El Salvadorian Jaguares in OT, 28-20. Although the Caimanes of El Salvador came up with a shut-out win over the Guatemalan Toros, 28-0.
1. The LINAFAH 2018 National championship calendar under the FENAFAH - Federacion Nacional de Football Americano de Honduras already completed the regular game weeks and will host the playoffs on Sunday, September 23rd. The Centauros will face the Huracanes and the Raptors will face the Lobos. The remaining 2 teams of the league, Cuervos and Jaguares didn’t make the road to the playoffs. The winners of each playoff bracket will compete in the Tegucigalpa Bowl XI on Sunday, October 14th.
1. The LNFA - Liga Nicaraguense de Football Americano took the decision to cancel the 2018 national championship calendar in June after only 4 game weeks because of the political unrest. The teams are still recruiting new players and practices take place when possible.
1. WAFL - World Arena Football League dedicated to full contact 8 vs 8 hosted their 2018 championship calendar playoffs this past Sunday. The Aguilas beat the Vikings 18-6 and the Sharks beat the Warriors with a shut-out score of 38-0. The 5th team in the league, Panama Harpies didn’t make the playoffs. The championship game info will be announced later this week.